Anglican – committed to the flourishing of the Church of England and the worldwide Anglican Communion. –
Mainstream – committed to promote, teach and maintain the commonly agreed Scriptural truths of the Christian faith, as expressed by the historic Creeds, the 39 Articles, and the Book of Common Prayer. These truths provide the foundation for the Anglican Church, the source of true unity and fellowship, and the basis of mission and service to a needy world.
Why we exist
Anglican Mainstream began in 2004 as part of a united international response of Anglicans from different backgrounds (Reformed, Charismatic and Catholic) to re-state and support traditional understandings of marriage, the family and human sexuality in the face of erosion of these values in church and society. The changing views on sexuality are a symptom of a wider “culture war” in which the historic biblical Christian accounts of God, humanity and how we should live, for so long a given in our society, are being rejected in favour of alternative worldviews and philosophical systems which are often hostile to the Christian faith.
What we do
Our WEBSITE www.anglican-mainstream.net (visited over 30,000 times per month) provides a daily digest of articles and news items from around the world helping us to think clearly about our faith and interaction with our culture, especially relating to issues of marriage and sexuality.
Our BRIEFINGS are in the form of visits by invitation to senior leaders in Church and other fields, to inform about latest developments.
Our ARTICLES regularly appear in Church media outlets.
• We recognize that among bible believing Anglicans there will be a variety of callings to different ministries, and different opinions on how to engage with culture and especially the sexuality question. However it is vital that we continue to engage positively with each other and keep informed about the good news of Gospel work. Anglican Mainstream works closely with CEEC, Reform, New Wine and other churches, groups and key individuals to “keep the unity of the Spirit”.
• Anglican Mainstream has been instrumental in the formation of Global Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans and the Global Anglican Future (GAFCON) conferences. We are a key point of contact between the vibrant, Spirit-filled and Christ centred Anglican churches of the Global South, and the Church of England.
• We have been privileged to assist in supporting projects of transformational mission by local churches in developing countries, for example Pakistan, South Sudan and Egypt. We are actively involved in supporting grassroots theological and pastoral training for Anglicans in South Africa and Uganda.
Anglican Mainstream has many opportunities to be a voice for orthodox Christian views on TV, radio and in the print media. We also operate as a hub to provide a forum for discussion and advice to small groups wanting to campaign publicly about issues of concern, for example same-sex “marriage” and the impact of the wider agenda on children. We have close relationships with other well known campaigning groups such as Christian Concern and the Christian Institute.
Anglican Mainstream Trustees
• Dr Philip Giddings (Oxford)
• Mrs Sarah Finch (London)
• Rev Canon David Banting (Chelmsford)
• Rev Paul Perkin (Southwark)
• Canon Dr Chris Sugden (Oxford)
Anglican Mainstream UK Steering Committee
• Dr Philip Giddings (Convenor)
• Bishop Wallace Benn (President of Church of England Evangelical Council)
• Rt Rev Michael Nazir-Ali
• Rev Canon David Banting (Chelmsford)
• Prebendary Richard Bewes OBE
• Rev Paul Perkin (New Wine Network)
• Rev George Curry (Chairman, Church Society)
• Rev Alyson Davie
• Rev Nick Wynne-Jones
• The Ven Michael Lawson (Chairman, CEEC)
• Canon Andy Lines (Crosslinks Mission Agency)
• Rev David McCarthy (Scottish Anglican Network)
• Rev Andrew Symes (Executive Secretary)
• Canon Dr Chris Sugden
• Rev Dr Richard Turnbull
• Mrs Sarah Finch
• Rev Dr Will Strange (Evangelical Fellowship in the Church in Wales)
Website Consultant: Dr Lisa Severine Nolland [email protected]
Contact us at [email protected]
Mailing Address: 21 High Street, Eynsham, OX29 4HE, UK
Phone: +44 (0)1865-883388
"If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are at the moment attacking, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ. Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved. To be steady on all fronts besides is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point"